Tuesday, May 12, 2009

"Testing should have not been preformed"?

During our classroom discussion I am compelled to post a blog. The book Breath, Eyes, Memory is indeed a very interesting novel. However I do not feel that the testing, which was preformed by Martine on her daughter was a form of rape. Also there is not any textual evidence that suggests Martine was testing for any purposes besides the explanation that was given in the novel (she tested her daughter because her mother tested her, it is tradition). Sophie is a product of old traditions however she was raised in an American culture thus adopted many American ways. Martine should have never tested her daughter because it truly changed Sophie’s mental state of mind. It was poor judgment on Martine’s part.

1 comment:

  1. I agree. It was not a form of rape because in Martine's mind, it happened for cultural reasons. However, I think that if sophie decided to run away one day during the testing and Martine physcially held her down and tested her, then that could be like rape. But, Sophie agreed with letting her Mom do this to her. I agree that Sophie should not have been tested when living in America. When coming to a new country, a lot of times you have to throw out old traditions. I think Martine did this because she has a lot of issues and anger in which she does not know where to release.

    ReplyDelete